How To Make Hair Bows For Girls
What little girl does not love to wear hair bows? Hair bows are a beautiful accessory to any little girl’s wardrobe. Bows are available in various sizes and colors. In fact, bows are available to match nearly every outfit in her closet. The only problem is that these bows can be somewhat pricey. Well made and beautifully crafted bows can cost in upwards of $20 each. For this reason, learning how to create hair bows for that special girl is essential.
Learning how to make hair bows for girls is much simpler than one might think. Even individuals who have never created any crafts whatsoever can quickly and easily create hair bows. No expertise is necessary it is as easy as following a recipe or wrapping a gift. There are step-by-step instructions that can be used to learn how to make hair bows for girls.
There are several benefits received once one has learned how to make hair bows for girls. The most apparent benefit is the fact that these beautiful bows can be created for much less than the purchase price of already crafted bows. Usually, for nearly the same price paid for a single bow at a boutique, enough supplies can be purchased to create more than a dozen hair bows. So learning how to make hair bows for girls can save a substantial amount of money in the future.
Another positive aspect of learning how to make hair bows for girls is the ability to create unique hair bows to give as gifts. Girls enjoy wearing their hair bows to weddings, dances, at school, for pictures, at church and even while they are playing with friends. Her eyes will sparkle as she tells her friends that this beautiful bow was made just for her.
Learning how to make hair bows for girls is very rewarding. Making glamorous bows for the special girls in one’s life to wear shows them just how important they are. Those girls will always remember receiving that unique and thoughtful gift, knowing that it was created especially for her.
Discovering how to make hair bows for girls is also a great hobby or pastime. Most crafters thoroughly enjoy stocking up on the amazing array of ribbons and materials used to create stunning hair bows. Once one has learned how to make hair bows for girls, others will request assistance to learn how to make them as well.
Some individuals have learned how to make hair bows for girls and sell their creations. Imagine selling the hair bows that have been created for a little extra money. Add that money to the family vacation fund and it may be surprising how quickly that jar gets full.
Step-By-Step Instructions For How to Make Hair Bows
• Alligator clip
• Very sharp scissors
• 1.5” width grosgrain ribbon/color and design of choice (23” long)
• 3/8” width grosgrain ribbon/color and design of choice (6” & 4 1/4” long)
• Hot glue gun
• Glue sticks for gun
• A lighter (used to heat seal the ribbon to eliminate the possibility of it fraying)
• A ruler
• Craft wire
Line the Alligator Clip
1. Insert the Ribbon
Push the alligator clip’s ends together and then insert the 3/8” (4 ¼” long) ribbon between its prongs to the back. Now close the alligator clip.
2. Attach the Ribbon to the Alligator Clip
Apply hot glue using the hot glue gun to the top of the alligator clip. Now attach the 3/8” ribbon to the clip.
3. Complete the Lining of the Alligator Clip
Continue putting the hot glue along the entire clip and place the ribbon. Continue concentrating on a single section each time the glue is placed on the clip. This is because if the hot glue cools, the ribbon will not adhere to the alligator clip properly. Once the bottom of the clip on the outside has been completed, open the alligator clip and glue whatever portion of the ribbon remains inside the alligator clip. Now the entire clip should be completely lined with the ribbon.
Create a 4” Pinwheel Bow
1. Fold the 23” long, 1.5” width ribbon in half and then cut a diagonal line upwards from the fold at the end towards the outer edges of the ribbon to create a ‘V”.
2. Heat-seal the ends of the ribbon using the lighter. Heat up the ends of the ribbon. It will only take a second and it will be visible when the ribbon starts to seal.
3. Fold the ribbon, with the ‘right side’ on the outside, at the 4 ½” mark on the ruler.
4. Continue folding the ribbon three more times over itself. The ends of the ribbon should not be hanging over the edges very much. If they are, just unfold the ribbon and make the initial fold a little longer.
5. Pull the two diagonally cut ends out to ensure they line up properly in the front of the ribbon. One end should be on top left and the other end should be on the bottom right.
6. Pinch the ribbon together in the center with fingers.
7. Wrap some of the craft wire around the middle of the pinched ribbon. Twist it backwards to ensure proper placement. Clip off any excess wire.
8. Turn the bow over and fluff it until it is acceptable. At this point, the bow can be molded to look perfect.
9. Wrap the smaller piece of ribbon around the center of the bow and tie a knot in the back.
10. Clip any excess ribbon off the knot and use the glue gun to seal those ends into the bow.
11. Embellish the bows center with gems or buttons.
12. Now, attach the completed bow to the already lined alligator clip with the glue gun.
To create a 3” pinwheel bow, use about 15” of ribbon and the initial fold should be at about 3.5” long.
To create a 2” bow, use about 11” of ribbon, the 1.5” width ribbon is too large for this bow; 5/8” to 7/8” will work the best.
Once one has learned how to make hair bows for girls, satin ribbon may be considered. Satin ribbon is beautiful to look at, but more difficult to work with because it is somewhat slippery.
The grosgrain ribbon is much easier to shape and make a nice hair bow, which makes it an ideal material for those who are just learning how to make hair bows for girls.